Brains for Breakfast














Yes, I'd have never thought of such...culinary option but here it is. My boyfriend is going though a very difficult time, he is recuperating from a severe digestive hemorrhage and he is supposed to ingest all sorts of foods very rich in iron..:red meat, liver and brain (veal, pork, lamb) in order to re-establish the chemical balance of his blood. So, because we had to introduce brain in the menu, my boyfriend suggested we should try one of his mother's old recipes for fried crumbed brain. I must admit I loathe, I just loathe the very idea of eating brain, anybody's brain...but, I faced the challenge very determined to create something edible :).

But, I eventually ended up assisting my dearest boyfriend, who reached the conclusion he could do it better. He first half boiled the yukky brain, then he let it cool and prepared a Bechamel sauce (2 eggs, milk and flour). Then he powdered each piece of brain with white flour, then it passed it through the Bechamel sauce and then finally coated it with breadcrumbs.

 He fried them til they turned golden. That was all. I only tasted a very tiny bit and I have to admit it's not as bad as I expected it. I know some people say it's a delicacy but I don't.
 .............................................................
Because my boyfriend's blood tests turned out alarmingly bad last time, we had to re-do them this morning, we expect the result on Monday and I am very very...scared. His last blood tests showed a very high level of leococytes (white blood cells), huge number of thrombocytes and very law number of red blood cells. If anyone had similar experiences I'd welcome the feedback. I am just so terrified..

21 comments:

robert said...

mmm my medical knowledge is less than ) so all I can give is prayers..

unikorna said...

Thank you dearest Robert, I really need them.

Da Dude said...

My doctor tells me I have low iron also. I have to take an iron tablet every day. I also have to stay away from red meat. Darn it!

Hop your BF gets better.

(((HUGS)))

Botanist said...

Never tried brains (I'd have no problem with liver or red meat) but I must say what your boyfriend did sounds (and looks) yummy. He must be good in the kitchen.

Hope the test results are improved. I know how stressful it is waiting for things like that. My thoughts are with you both.

My Spotty Pony said...

I am sorry to read about your boyfriend. I had a blood transfusion due to low iron, but I am not sure what the solution will be for your boyfriend. I hope the doctor sorts it out for him.
Abby xx

YONKS said...

Hope everything sorts itself out. Our bodies are so complex! My thoughts and prayers with you all the way.
Di
X

Dolly's Daily Diary said...

I don't know much about this either, I wish I could give you some insights, I will say a prayer and keep you in my thoughts as always!
{{{{Hugs}}}}

Comment1 said...

Gosh. A friend of mine was once offered lamb's brain but he said he refused because he couldn't eat a lamb's dreams!

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello:
Oh dear, we could barely look at this post we are afraid to say since brains would not be in our top ten of culinary favourites. Indeed, they would not be anywhere in our culinary favourites.

Blood composition can be an extremely complex topic as we have found in our own experiences. But, also from experience, haematologists are extremely skilful in sorting out what is causing certain problems and so we are sure that a positive solution for your boyfriend will be found. Our thoughts are with you both at this worrying time.

Debra Turner said...

My thoughts are with both of you, especially on Monday. Do let us know the results of his tests.

virginia said...

Oh, I wish I could help with such worries and nerve racking moments. I, alas, have no reassurance, I have you both in my thoughts... I hope comfort come soon...

I must say, brains or any type of organ for that matter is not in my menu at any level... I have only small amounts of meat in my cooking criteria. Hamburger, chicken, and choice pieces of beef...

But as my husband says routinely...
ANYTHING Fried can't be bad!!! I tend to believe his words...

Jeshurun said...

While I could probably offer you an accurate diagnoses - due to my medical training in the military, and previous familial experience along those very same lines - I'd say, just wait for the doctor's own inevitable conclusion....

My own heart goes out to the both of you!

Pinay Scribbles said...

well when I lost 4 liters of blood a few months ago, the doctor just gave me a small bag of iron in IV perfusion. then advised me to take iron for 3 months, although I didn't do it because I dont quite like iron tablets.

i should go for another check up soon.. :D

I would never go to that drastic option of eating brains. :P

spinach is rich in iron? :D

zobop republic said...

No way I'm eating anyone's or anythings brain. I'm not a zombie! But thanks. :-)

stevebethere said...

Sorry to hear this I hope his next tests turn out better.

I have never ate brains before even looking at them is awful lol I admire your b/f for trying it and making a more pleasant recipe to make the experience more pleasant.

I am low on Iron and have to take iron tabs 3 times a day I hate the side effects I get with them but need them because of my low blood count :-)

Anyway I wish your b/f well :-0

Gayle Haynes said...

As a child, I often ate brains and eggs scrambled. They were good with toast and jelly. Somehow when they are lost in the eggs they are less noticable. On the other hand when you consider that an egg is an embryo...Oh well. I'll also pray for his swift recovery and your tolerance of the remedy.

Laila Knight said...

I'm so very sorry about your boyfriend. Try to keep a positive attitude and give him your love. That's all you can really do. Let's hope the doctors know what they're doing. It's pretty scary. I'll be praying for you. See you next year. Remember if you need someone to chat with, I'm only an email away. I wish you a Merry Chrismas.

love2type said...

where did you get the brains and brains of what?? i haven't eaten a brain yet. but people here loves to eat pig's brain and other internals..

monggo is rich in iron..

i hope your boyfriend will be well soon..

Joyce Lansky said...

I hope he feels better and gets good medical results the next time. Eating brain sounds gross, but I guess you do what you've got to do.

Joyce
http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

unikorna said...

Thank you all for your kind words..they mean so much.

YONKS said...

Unikorna,
Where are you, I hope all is OK? Getting a bit worried about you my friend!
Di
x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...