Cooking for my lover...


Because it's incredibly cold outside and because the car would not start , we've been forced to stay mostly inside keeping away from the freezing cold. Last night the outside thermometer showed a minimum of - 25 C (-13 F) and to my utter astonishment I discovered ice around the door keyhole.
 In spite of all our efforts to keep it warm inside the house (that includes a fireplace and some electric radiators ) we can't seem to obtain more than some pathetic 15 degrees C (58 F) which is ...brrrr.
And because we, no longer, have the luxury to go out shopping every day, we had to actually brain storm in the search for some cooking ideas..
So, for my boyfriend I used carrots, leeks and some peas long forgotten in the freezer, to prepare him some sort of vegetables sote with a side of grilled pork. I made it sweet and spicy and he loved it.

For lacto-vegetarian me I boiled some potatoes and I prepared a delicious Oriental salad with some rings of leeks, red onions, black olives and a bit of balsamic vinegar. I sprinkled a generous amount of olive oil di campagna (brought by my sister from sunny Italy), toasted some bread and that's all.

13 comments:

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello:
Sometimes creating dishes from leftovers, ingredients sleeping in cupboards and things which have been lurking in the freezer for a while turn out to be unexpectedly good.

The weather here too is also bitterly cold but we are fortunate to have the flat warm and cosy. Do take care of yourselves whilst the Arctic weather persists!

teashias said...

It looks delicious.. :)

Whisppy said...

Oh yummy. If I were in your shoes, I'll be eating instant noodles. LOL.

A Mom said...

foods looks delicious!

Robert Bourne said...

not only beautiful and creative..but a whiz in the kitchen... :)

Catherine said...

Your imagination did not fail you. The pork sounds great and your salad looks delicious. Blessings my dear and keep warm. Catherine xoxo

Botanist said...

Sometimes simple and improvised is the best! Take care of yourselves and I hope things thaw out soon.

My Spotty Pony said...

The freezing weather where you live was reported in the paper here in UK today. -13F is SO cold, I am not surprised you are indoors creating interesting food with what you have in. It looks delicious and I am sure your boyfriend appreciates your culinary skills :)
Try and stay warm...
Love and hugs, Abby xx

The Sage Butterfly said...

It sounds so cold where you are...stay warm! You were so creative in coming up with something good to eat. I know it can be hard when you are stuck inside, but you did a great job.

Lora R. Rivera said...

I'm in awe of those who can "throw together a meal" in this way. I usually have no idea what foods taste good together--and cooking meat? Forget it. I don't have that talent. These meals look fantastic. And I'm so glad you aren't afraid of olive oil! You have no idea how many of my local female friends stick up their noses at oils, period.

love2type said...

i hope to be able to cook for my lover someday too.. :) looks healthy

Dolly's Daily Diary said...

Looks delicious, you are very creative in the kitchen, I wish I could warm things up for you over there!
Hugs to you,
Janet :)

Librarian said...

I love making do with what I happen to find in my fridge, freezer compartment and food cupboard! Yours looks lovely and nobody would think you had not been out shopping for fresh food in a while.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...