The Ballerina Cake

Once upon a time there was a girl called Anna, she was the daughter of a Russian laundress. Because Anna was mesmerized with the graceful swans from her grandpa's pond, she asked her poor mother to send her to school so she could learn how to dance as willowy as her grandpa's immaculate swans. And indeed she danced.


When she grew up and became a prima ballerina at the Imperial Theater, everybody fell in love with the elegance and the grace of her magic little feet that could float above the ground like "a string of pearls".
 An Australian chef became so obsessed with her dancing that he created a cake and named it after her...The Pavlova Cake.
And because I always like a good story, especially those that involve marshmallow and strawberries, I thought I'd try this very pretentious cake that everybody talks so much about.
 The base of the cake is made of beaten egg whites and caster sugar. The main problem is the baking of the base, if you expose it too soon to cold air, it will deflate. Supposing it's properly baked and cooled, it'll be crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside. I decorated it with whipped cream and strawberry sauce. It's useless to say I made my boyfriend fall in love with me...again :).
Enhanced by Zemanta

12 comments:

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello Petronela:
Absolutely delicious and one of our all time favourite puddings. And this may well come as a surprise, but we do, on very rare occasions, make it ourselves for a summer dinner party where it is always, as your boyfriend found, very popular indeed.

Petro Neagu said...

I would fall for you again too if you cook me that! It looks absolutely amazing and delicious!
You really are such a great cook, I so envy you. I can't even boil vegetables for Ellie without burning them :)

Kisses

Unknown said...

I love chocolate pavlova, one of my favorite desserts. And it comes with a great story. How can you beat that?

Janet Gardner said...

I have never heard this story or seen this dessert, looks tough to make, but I'm sure he did fall in love with you again for all your efforts! Looks so yummy! I'll have to try this sometime myself. I let you know how it turns out for me lol!
Janet
xoxo

Divya Pramil said...

Looks so delicious.. So you seem to be a great cook!!

The Furries of Whisppy said...

Ahhh. The pavlova cake. It's really lovely but oh, so sinful. I didn't know the history of the cake, though. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you so much for your prayers for Tutu. They most certainly helped! :)

virginia robertson said...

Incredible story... Delicious looking cake.. You imbodied the magick of intrigue, yet once again... That to me is glorious... Xxx

Catherine said...

Dear Petronela, Thank you for the history of this cake. I am sure that the taste is delicious. Blessings dear. Catherine xo

Robert Bourne said...

can u Fedex one to me.... :)

Sissym said...

Dear!

Oh God, this cake involved with marshmallow and strawberries is from another world! rsss

hummmm.....
nhec!

yes, Robert: Fedex to me too!

Kisses

Shaharoh said...

Wow! Delish! That looks to die for! I'm curious as to how long it takes to make something like that. What happened after the first bite...

love2type said...

i once studied ballet.. but i stopped as soon as i heard about recitals.. nyahaha. I'm not very fond of stage much. cake looks tempting

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...